WE NEED FOSTER HOMES!
Become a foster now! Fill out our application.
One of the most vital parts of our organization are our foster families. Because CILRA does not have a shelter facility, every animal that comes into our organization must have a foster home until it is adopted out. The more foster homes we have, the more deserving Labs we can save. It’s that simple.
Think you could never foster? Think again and discover one of the most rewarding experiences you might ever be a part of.
Fostering RequirementsFostering FAQsReasons to FosterApply Now
All CILRA foster families must be able to provide the following:
- A safe, secure, and loving home
- The necessary time to work with dogs to provide basic training and play time
- Transportation to necessary veterinary appointments
Can I choose the dog I want?
Yes! When you apply to become a foster and are in our system, you may specify the age, sex, and activity level of the foster dog you would prefer. Whatever kind of dog you choose, you can guarantee they will be grateful that you opened your home to them.
What is my financial responsibility?
Other than the cost of food, there is none. CILRA will provide any necessary materials, crates and covers the veterinary expenses of all dogs.
What if I already have a dog (or cat, etc)?
No worries! Many of our foster families have their own pets and find that foster dogs slide right into their environment. In fact, well-balanced family pets can often have great positive impacts on our dogs. They can be wonderful confidence builders and help show the new dog “the ropes” of how great it is to be in a caring and stable environment.
How long will I have my foster dog?
Most dogs stay with their foster families for 14 days but the length of time can vary depending on the dog. Some of our dogs have health and/or behavioral issues that require a longer stay in foster care.
Can I be Considered to Adopt the Dog I am Fostering?
Yes. A foster home must notify CILRA within 14 days of intake. As CILRA usually has a waitlist to adopt, we are unable to guarantee a that a foster dog can become a permanent addition.
What happens next?
You can fill out our foster application here. Once we have received your application, a volunteer will schedule a home visit. This gives potential volunteers a great opportunity to discuss fostering with one of our experienced volunteers. Once your home visit is completed, we will get you started with the necessary forms, procedures, etc. Soon you will be matched with the appropriate dog and you’ll be ready to go.
But I could never foster, it would be too hard to say goodbye.
Yes, saying goodbye to a foster dog is tough. But that difficulty is no match for the joy you will feel when seeing your foster dog find that absolutely perfect family for them to spend the rest of their life with. It is bittersweet, but the good far outweighs the bad. Many of our foster families keep in regular touch with their foster dogs’ forever families after they have been adopted.
If you have any more questions regarding fostering for CILRA, please send us an email.
Please don’t delay…Labs in need are waiting for you! Give a Lab a New Leash on Life! To become a foster-care provider, please click here to complete an application.
Top 10 Reasons To Foster
- You meet caring people who share your passion and love for Labs.
- Fostering a Lab allows your entire family to participate in a volunteer activity.
- A foster Lab will kiss you…even when you have morning breath.
- There is nothing better than puppy breath except maybe puppy kisses)!
- Companionship without a lifetime commitment – You can foster one Lab. It can be just a few days, a few weeks or a few months. It can be as long or as short as you like.
- Emotionally Rewarding – To see the light and life come back into an abandoned Lab’s eyes, and know that you helped put it there.
- Fostering is proof that miracles do exist.
- Saving a Lab won’t change the world, but for that one Lab, their world will change forever.
- Pure happiness – The memories that warm your heart and touch your soul…holiday card updates…pictures and letters families that adopted.
- Because for every one Lab you agree to foster, there are ten others who will never get that opportunity.
Note: This application is for fostering and not adopting. If you are interested in adopting a dog, fill out our adoption application (link this to online adoption form).